MAYBE DAILY BLOGS: Books – No Headphone Jack???

Image from Unsplash

Reading is a very subjective topic. People can like all sorts of books. Big or small. Thin or thick. Pictures or no pictures. Words or no words. There’s a book for literally everybody on the planet. My personal favorite book is What If: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions. Randall Munroe, a former NASA worker, now full-time cartoonist, created the book as a tribute to the What If? section of his website www.xkcd.com. I really like the book because it actually makes you learn stuff and realize that the questions being asked aren’t as stupid as you think they are. 

That’s just my opinion. But opinions are very complicated things, and that’s what makes reading unique for everybody.

The joy of reading is an incredible thing. You can fly into the world of Harry Potter and catch a Golden Snitch. You can fend for yourself and fight to the death in the Hunger Games. You can be a dragon and soar through a high-stakes, epic war between sisters divided for a throne in Wings of Fire (at least the first book I’m pretty sure.) But everybody reads differently. I like fiction, graphic novels, and comedy style books. The jokes can keep me hooked, the fiction can keep it interesting, and the graphic novel can give me something to see. There are some books that I really like (i.e., Dog Man, Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Big Nate) that all fall under the category. But, some other guy whose name could be Mr. Boring of the Kingdom of Boringania could come along and say that they enjoy newspapers and nonfiction books, and that’s okay. Everybody has preference, which is why it’s impossible to create a book that everybody likes. One of the only books that my family bought because I wanted it was a fresh copy of The Mysterious Benedict Society from Barnes & Nobles. The story seemed incredibly interesting. A secret spy organization of kids? AND it’s British? What a steal! The only problem was that the book was loooong. Mom and Dad bought it for me anyway, and I made a promise to finish the book. And I did! It was great. Sometimes you have one of those experiences. And then sometimes, you try to read Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief and you get lost in the story and plot. Annabeth and Percy seem to keep flirting with each other unknowingly and it drives you crazy that they don’t just kiss. Grover is a dork. Ares working for Kronos makes zero sense. I thought all the Greek gods were mortal enemies with Kronos. There is close to no exposition until near the very end of the book. Hades just shows up randomly and starts spouting nonsense about jealousy. Jealousy? That’s your excuse? Mrs. Dodds was one of the only good characters besides Percy and Annabeth. I forgot that the lightning bolt was a pivotal part of the story. Poseidon is a terrible father. But that’s just my opinion. I like the parts with the flying boots. 

What!? I’m a simple creature. Cat piano is still relevant in my head.

I’d like to work on reading more complex and long books. My vision board is:

Complete P.S. Be Eleven by Rita Williams-Garcia

Get Mysterious Benedict Society 2.

Finish MBS2.

Get Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

Finish HPatSS

Finish MBS series.

Finish Harry Potter book 2 and 3.

Get a bunch of Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and finish them.

Etc. etc.

Alright everybody! I’ll see you in my next blog post about MATH. That’s right. I’m pulling out the arithmetic in this establishment!

3 thoughts on “MAYBE DAILY BLOGS: Books – No Headphone Jack???